My name is Lisa Berman Sylvestri MSPT, CLT-LANA. I have over 20 years of experience as a physical therapist, over 12 of which are in the lymphedema and oncology arena.
Early on in my career, I had a family friend who suffered from a disease called lymphedema, which was caused by her breast cancer treatment. I had begun my practice working in outpatient orthopedics, but after doing my research to learn about this condition and realizing the lack of certified lymphedema professionals in my area, I decided to focus on that field. I'm so glad I did. After I heard my first patient tell me that I was the first, and only, person who had made her feel good during her cancer journey, I knew I had found my calling. By 2010, I completed my second lymphedema specialist certification program to ensure I was doing my best for all of my patients.
I now have advanced certification through the Lymphology Association of North America (LANA) and teach other physical and occupational therapists of the importance of recognizing and treating all swelling and lymphedema. I am also involved with the local chapter of the Cancer Support Community where I speak to the “Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer Group” on lymphedema.
My passion is working with the lymphedema, breast cancer and oncology patient population. I get great satisfaction being a part of the recovery journey. I also enjoy treating anyone who suffers from chronic and significant swelling, from other types of lymphedema or other medical conditions. I am excited for this next step opening Oasis Physical Therapy and Wellness.
When not working, I enjoy time with my family, traveling, wine tasting and food / cooking, as well as enjoying the California lifestyle.
My vision is to create an oasis of healing where you feel comfortable, empowered and encouraged get back the life you want to live, and to thrive!
My mission is to ensure every patient who has received a cancer diagnosis is able to have a great quality of life. I will work with you one on one, to help you eliminate your fears, gain strength, reduce swelling, and achieve your personal goals. I want to help bridge the gap from prehab to long term care in the cancer community.
- 1998 – Received my BS in Health Sciences from Boston University
- 2000 – Received my MS in Physical Therapy from Boston University
- 2008 – Became a Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT) through the Academy of Lymphatic Studies
- 2008 – Began working as a CLT in Boca Raton, FL
- 2010 – Became a CLT through the Dr. Vodder School North America
- 2012 – Developed and built a lymphedema treatment program at San Ramon Regional Medical Center
- 2018 - Began teaching a CEU course to other clinicians about lymphedema management and treatment through Summit Continuing Education
- 2019 – Became CLT-LANA through the Lymphology Association of North America
- 2021 – Recognized as NLN expert clinician
- 2022 - Cancer Exercise Specialist; CETI
I’m thrilled to welcome Tamara Shih, PT, MPT, PORi/c, AIB-VR/CON, AIB-VR2, CFPS to Oasis Physical Therapy and Wellness.
She brings over 20 years of experience as a physical therapist, treating patients with a vast array of diagnoses. She seeks to empower and improve the lives of all patients. Helping people get back to living their lives is her life’s passion.
She believes that each person is unique and requires a treatment program tailored to individual goals and needs. Cancer survivors are a very special group of people and my unique skill set allows me to treat them for a variety of diagnoses to maximize functional improvement.
At her previous job she taught community classes for fall prevention, cancer related fatigue, proper body mechanics and ergonomics, and postural exercises to assist with correction of postural changes due to cancer treatments. She also developed a vestibular rehabilitation program and co developed the oncology rehab program. I have worked with cancer survivors throughout my career and continue to stay informed in the most current research.
In her spare time, she enjoys spending time with family, traveling, hiking, stand up paddle boarding, trail running, doing pilates/yoga, cooking/baking, gardening, reading, learning new things, and doing pretty much anything artistic.
- 1999 – Received Bachelor of Science in Health Science and Minor in Biology From Saint Mary’s College
- 2002 – Received Master’s in Physical Therapy from Samuel Merritt University
- 2005 – NDTA Certified Stroke Rehab
- Mar. 2012 – Advanced Oncology Rehabilitation Training
- Apr. 2012 – STAR Certified Clinician (Survivorship Training and Rehab)
- Jan. 2015 – Craniosacral Therapy training Dissipating Trauma, Reducing Stress, and Rebalancing the Body
- Sep. 2015 – Certified PORi Oncology Rehabilitation Clinical Specialist
- 2017 – Rocktape IASTM training (instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization)
- 2018 – Rocktape Kinesiology Taping Certification
- Aug. 2019 – Certification in Vestibular Rehabilitation and Concussion
- Dec. 2019 – APPI Certified Matwork Pilates Instructor
- Mar. 2020 – Trained in Evaluation and Treatment of Temporomandibular Disorders and Craniofacial Pain
- Aug. 2020 – Rocktape Myofascial Cupping Practitioner Certification
- Aug. 2020 – Visual Rehabilitation Certificate
- Dec. 2021 – The American Institute of Balance Vestibular Rehabilitation II Certification
- Jan. 2022 – Rocktape Movement Specialist certified
- Jan. 2022 – The Pink Ribbon Program Certified in Oncology Rehabilitation
- Jan. 2022 – Certified Fall Prevention Specialist (CFPS) Certification
Contact us today to schedule a free 15-minute phone consultation.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter